First time making egg tart. This recipe makes about 16 egg tarts using a butter cookie based tart.
- 125g of butter
- 55g of icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 200g of all purpose flour
- 25g of cake flour
- 2 eggs
- 70g of icing sugar
- 150ml of hot water
- 75ml of evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
Note: 75ml of evaporated milk and 75ml of the water can be replaced with 150ml of milk.
- Bring the butter to room temperature, beat the butter until soft.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until the butter mixture is light and creamy.
- Beat egg and vanilla extract into the butter mixture until fully incorporated.
- Gradually pour the sifted all purpose flour and cake flour into the mixture and knead into a dough.
- Split the dough evenly into 16 round balls. Fill each 7 cm egg tart cups with the dough and flatten the dough into a tart shape.
- In a separate bowl, melt the icing sugar with the hot water. Allow it to cool.
- Mix egg, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract into the sugar water until fully incorporated.
- Sift the egg mixture to remove any bits or foam.
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared tarts.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Bake the egg tarts in the lower tray of the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until the tarts turn golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to 350 F and bake for 5 minutes. The egg tart will rise, open the oven door slightly to prevent the egg tart from rising too much. Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes until the center is set (If you stick a toothpick in the center, the toothpick should be able to stand on its own).
- Remove from oven to cool completely.
Recipe Based On: http://www.christinesrecipes.com/2009/03/cantonese-egg-tarts.html