I made some Crème Brûlée for Valentine’s Day and now I am stuck with a bunch of egg whites. So I made some Meringue Cookies with them! First time making these, sadly they didn’t turn out to be very pretty because the surface cracked.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup of sugar
- pinch of tartar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- food coloring
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, preheat oven to 175 F.
- Place sugar, egg white, tartar, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Slowly beat egg mixture. Gradually increase speed and continue to beat mixture until stiff peaks have almost formed.
- Mixture is ready when whisk attachment dipped into mixture leaves a curled but stiff peak when removed.
- Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a close or open star tip and pipe 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch wide cookies, making sure to set them one inch apart from one another.
- Bake at 175 F for one and a half hours, then turn off oven and leave the door slightly ajar for meringues to cool down with the oven. Store meringue cookies in an airtight container away from any heat or moisture.
Recipe Based On: http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2011/03/my-first-meringue-kiss/