For this mother’s day, I tried piping roses for the first time using whipped cream! They didn’t turn out all that great but they do look like roses at least. I took a 9 inch chiffon cake recipe and halved all the ingredients, in total this made 8 cupcakes. The cake turned out to be a bit dry in my opinion, but together with the whipped cream it balanced everything out and tasted great!
- 1/2 cup and 1 tbsp of cake flour
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp and 1/8 tsp of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 45ml of orange juice
- 45ml of vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a muffin pan with 8 muffin cups.
- Sift cake flour in a bowl and add 1/4 cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Add in cream of tartar. Slowly add the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks have formed.
- Make a well in the flour mixture, add egg yolk, orange juice and vegetable oil in the well. Mix together the egg yolk, orange juice and oil.
- Mix the flour mixture and the egg yolk mixture together for about 2-3 minutes with an electric mixture until light and fluffy.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until when a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Beat whipping cream until frothy. Add icing sugar gradually while beating. Whip until light and thick enough to pipe on cooled cupcakes.
Cupcake Recipe Based On: http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/chiffon-cake.html
Whipped Frosting Recipe Based On: http://www.food.com/recipe/whipped-cream-frosting-39013