After watching a video on youtube, I tried making a mille crepe for the first time. I am actually not sure if it turned out right because I’ve never had this cake before. I used a 18cm frying pan for this mille crepe. The recipe made about 16 crepes, but because it was the first time I made crepes, I broke 6 of them, and so I only used 10 crepes for the cake.
- 120g of cake flour
- 20g of cocoa powder
- 45g of sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 325g of milk
- 25g of butter
- oil for frying pan
Whipped Cream Filling
- 300ml of whipping cream
- 40g of sugar
- Combine cake flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well and add eggs, mix everything together using an egg beater.
- Mix the milk into the batter in three parts.
- Melt the butter and add it to the batter.
- Sift the batter to get rid of any chunks. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Using a low heat setting on the stove, preheat the frying pan. Brush a thin layer of oil on to the frying pan.
- Using a ladle, pour batter on to the frying pan. Try to make sure the amount of batter is roughly the same for each crepe so they turn out to have the same thickness.
- Fry crepes for about 20 seconds, flip it over onto a plate and flatten it out.
- Repeat the process of adding oil and frying the crepe for about 16 crepes, layer the crepes neatly on a plate, cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Add sugar to whipping cream and beat until markings form on to the top but the whipped cream still flows.
- Combine the crepe and whipped cream together by layering a piece of crepe at the bottom. Add whipped cream on top, using a spatula to smooth out the whipped cream, and then add a piece of crepe on top and repeat.
- Refrigerate the mille crepe for at least 3 hours. Sift cocoa powder on top for decoration.
Recipe Based On: http://www.amandatastes.com/【曼食慢语】抹茶千层蛋糕/
I made some Crème Brûlée for Valentine’s Day and now I am stuck with a bunch of egg whites. So I made some Meringue Cookies with them! First time making these, sadly they didn’t turn out to be very pretty because the surface cracked.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup of sugar
- pinch of tartar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- food coloring
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, preheat oven to 175 F.
- Place sugar, egg white, tartar, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Slowly beat egg mixture. Gradually increase speed and continue to beat mixture until stiff peaks have almost formed.
- Mixture is ready when whisk attachment dipped into mixture leaves a curled but stiff peak when removed.
- Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a close or open star tip and pipe 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch wide cookies, making sure to set them one inch apart from one another.
- Bake at 175 F for one and a half hours, then turn off oven and leave the door slightly ajar for meringues to cool down with the oven. Store meringue cookies in an airtight container away from any heat or moisture.
Recipe Based On: http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2011/03/my-first-meringue-kiss/
This Valentine’s Day I made Crème Brûlée for my dear hubby. I’ve always wanted to make this and I bought a torch for this a really really long time ago. This is actually very easy to make, but the extra egg whites was always something that stopped me from making it. I also made the caramel top a bit too thick, and not burnt enough.
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups of whipping cream
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- boiling water
- 8 tsp of sugar (for caramel)
- Preheat over to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with a wire whisk.
- In a large bowl, stir whipping cream, 1/3 cup of sugar, and the vanilla until well mixed.
- Add egg yolks, beat with wire whisk until evenly colored and well blended.
- In an 8 inch pan, place 4 6-oz ramekins. Pour cream mixture evenly into ramekins. Pour enough boiling water into pan, being careful not to splash water into ramekins, until water covers two-thirds of the height of the ramekins.
- Carefully place pan with ramekins into the oven. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until top is light golden brown and sides are set (centers will be jiggly).
- Using tongs or grasping tops of ramekins with pot holders, carefully transfer ramekins to cooling racks. Cool to room temperature, about 2 hours. Cover tightly with plastic wraps, refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours but no longer than 48 hours.
- Uncover ramekins, gently blot any liquid from tops of custards with paper towel. Sprinkle 2 tsp of sugar over each chilled custard. Gently remove the excess sugar from the custard.
- Holding kitchen torch 3 to 4 inches from custard, caramelize sugar on each custard by heating with torch about 2 minutes, moving flame continuously over sugar in circular motion, until sugar is melted and light golden brown. Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 8 hours before serving.
Recipe Based On: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/creme-brulee/67864cdb-de54-48b0-adca-02b9839ba033
First time making egg tart. This recipe makes about 16 egg tarts using a butter cookie based tart.
- 125g of butter
- 55g of icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 200g of all purpose flour
- 25g of cake flour
- 2 eggs
- 70g of icing sugar
- 150ml of hot water
- 75ml of evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
Note: 75ml of evaporated milk and 75ml of the water can be replaced with 150ml of milk.
- Bring the butter to room temperature, beat the butter until soft.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until the butter mixture is light and creamy.
- Beat egg and vanilla extract into the butter mixture until fully incorporated.
- Gradually pour the sifted all purpose flour and cake flour into the mixture and knead into a dough.
- Split the dough evenly into 16 round balls. Fill each 7 cm egg tart cups with the dough and flatten the dough into a tart shape.
- In a separate bowl, melt the icing sugar with the hot water. Allow it to cool.
- Mix egg, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract into the sugar water until fully incorporated.
- Sift the egg mixture to remove any bits or foam.
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared tarts.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Bake the egg tarts in the lower tray of the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until the tarts turn golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to 350 F and bake for 5 minutes. The egg tart will rise, open the oven door slightly to prevent the egg tart from rising too much. Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes until the center is set (If you stick a toothpick in the center, the toothpick should be able to stand on its own).
- Remove from oven to cool completely.
Recipe Based On: http://www.christinesrecipes.com/2009/03/cantonese-egg-tarts.html
I’ve recent baked this double chocolate muffin for a bake sale at work and they turned out delicious! It has a lot of chocolate, not very sweet, and super moist! Super yummy when it was warm! The original recipes is supposed to make a dozen muffins, but I didn’t mound it high enough so it ended up being 18 muffins in total. So it looked more like cupcakes than muffins. Next time I should mound it higher so it makes 12 muffins and have that nice muffin shape.
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of sour cream
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 300g of chocolate chips (about 10 1/2 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a standard 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a bowl, sift and whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs on medium-high speed. Slowly add in the sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is pale and thick. The mixture should ribbon down from the beater when lifted.
- Beat oil into the egg mixture until fully incorporated.
- Beat sour cream and vanilla extract into the egg mixture until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and fold until only a few visible streaks remain.
- Add most of the chocolate chips and fold in until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated. Leave a small amount of chocolate for topping.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups. Smoothing the top if needed and keeping the scoops mounded.
- Top each muffin cups with the remaining chocolate.
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, and then reduce the heat to 350 F and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out free of batter (It may have melted chocolate).
- Cool the muffin in the pan for 15 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Recipe Based On: http://www.brighteyedbaker.com/2014/07/16/ultimate-double-chocolate-muffins/
Happy Valentine’s day everyone! This year I made tiramisu for my dear hubby. This is a non-alcoholic and no raw egg version because he doesn’t like the alcohol and raw egg. It’s also very easy to make! This recipe makes a lot, in total there was 8 small cups and 5 large cups. The original recipe was only half the ingredients but mascarpone cheese are sold in 475g and so I didn’t want to waste the ingredients.
- 1 cup of coffee
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 475g of mascarpone cheese
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 300g of ladyfingers
- For the coffee syrup: In a small bowl, combine the hot coffee and 2 tbsp sugar. Mix until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- For the filling: In a large bowl, whisk mascarpone vigorously by hand until creamy and smooth. Whisk in vanilla extract.
- In a different mixer bowl, whisk together heavy cream and sugar using an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Fold whipping cream into mascarpone in 2 additions until mixture is smooth.
- Assemble tiramisu: Spoon a dollop of the mascarpone cream mixture into the bottom of the glass.
- Break each ladyfinger into 4 pieces, dip the ladyfingers very quickly (less than a second) into the coffee syrup and place on top of the cream. You don’t have to use all 4 pieces at once; it depends on the size of the glass.
- Repeat with layering filling and ladyfingers, creating 2-3 layers in total. For each ladyfinger, add about 2-3 heaping tablespoons of cream. It doesn’t have to be exact – if you like more cream, go ahead and add more.
- Serve cold. Right before serving, dust the top with cocoa powder.
Recipe Based On: http://prettysimplesweet.com/egg-free-alcohol-free-tiramisu/
Wow, it’s been a whole year since I’ve posted any recipes. I’ve actually been so busy preparing for my wedding this entire year! Now that it’s finally done, I can start making desserts again! Anyways, these were the mini cheesecakes I’ve made for a Christmas pot luck this year. I’ve made these a thousand times before because they are super easy and delicious! This time I’ve tried making two different flavors: nutella and strawberry jam filled. This recipe makes 12 mini cheesecakes using a muffin pan.
这是我比较喜欢做的一个甜点, 因为它很简单, 而且大家也比较喜欢. 这一次我试了两种不同的味道, 一种是巧克力榛子酱味的, 另外一种是草莓酱夹心. 这个食谱可以做12个迷你芝士蛋糕.
- 12 Oreo cookies 奥利奥饼干
- 1/3 cup of sugar 糖
- 1 1/2 tbsp of flour 中筋面粉
- 12 ounces of cream cheese, softened (this is about one and a half brick) 奶油奶酪
- 1/4 cup of milk 牛奶
- 1/4 cup of sour cream 酸奶油
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract 香草香精
- 1/2 cup of nutella (optional) 巧克力榛子酱
- strawberry jam (optional) 草莓果酱
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. 预热烤箱到325度华氏.
- In a medium bowl, mix sugar, flour and cream cheese until smooth. 把糖, 面粉, 和奶油奶酪混合在一个大的碗里.
- Beat in eggs, then add milk, sour cream, and vanilla, and mix until smooth. 再加入鸡蛋, 牛奶, 酸奶油和香草香精.
- (Nutella Version) To make the nutella flavored mini cheesecakes, fold in nutella until just combined. 如果是弄成巧克力榛子酱味道的, 把榛子酱慢慢的混合到蛋糕糊里.
- Line the muffin pan with muffin cups and fill each cup with an oreo cookie. 在松饼盘里放纸杯, 然后每一个纸杯里放一个奥利奥饼干.
- Divide the filling evenly between the muffin cups. Tap lightly on the counter to release any trapped air. 把蛋糕糊平均的倒到纸杯里. 轻轻的在桌子上敲一下让气泡出来.
- (Strawberry Jam Filled Version) To fill the cheesecake with strawberry jam, simply add a spoonful of strawberry jam to each cheesecake. 如果是要加草莓酱的就在纸杯里加一勺子的草莓酱.
- Bake for 20 to 24 minutes, or until just slightly jiggly in the center. Remove and cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. 然后放进烤箱里烤20到24分钟. 拿出来在室温底下冷却半个小时.
- Then cover the cheesecakes with plastic wrap or tin foil, and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. 用塑料纸盖上放进冰箱里冷4个小时或者过夜.
- (Nutella Version) To decorate, I warmed up some nutella in the microwave. Filled a small ziplock bag with nutella and cut a tiny hole in one of the corners of the bag. I then used the nutella to draw different pattern on the cheesecakes. 如果是弄了巧克力榛子酱的, 可以放一点榛子酱到微波炉里, 热到有点暖. 然后把榛子酱放到一个小的保鲜袋里, 在袋子的角落那里剪一个很小的洞, 然后可以用来在蛋糕上面画画.
Recipe Based on: http://www.thebakerupstairs.com/2013/12/mini-nutella-cheesecakes.html